1. The Mount Everest always attracts mountaineers from world over. It is the dream every mountaineer to scale the summit of this mighty mountain. Mt. Everest also attracts thousands of trekkers around the globe and reaching its base camp makes the trekking enthusiasts really proud. Here are some facts about this mountain that is known to very few people.
2. More than 4000 people successfully climbed Mount Everest from its first official summit in 1953 by Tenzing Norgay and Edmund Hillary.
3. More than 230 climbers died on Mount Everest and few of them even serving as landmarks.
4. Around $7000 to $15,000 permit (depend on the group size and season) fee required for climbing the Everest. The USA applies for the most permits, followed by India, UK, China and Japan.
5. $30,000 to $60,000 Cost of a 40 to 64 days expedition to climb Everest with Dream Guides, including oxygen and one Sherpa per client.
6. $3.1m Total government revenue from sale of Everest climbing permits in 2012.
7. 13 Age of the youngest climber, Jordan Romero (May 2010) of California USA followed by Malavath Purna (May 2014) 13 years 11 months Indian Girl.
80 is the Age of the oldest climber to reach the summit, Yuichiro Miura of Japan in May 2013 (he summated Everest thrice when he was age of 70, 75 and 80). The oldest women climber is Tamae Watanabe at the age of 73.
8. 3 minutes 50 seconds Length of time French pilot Didier Delsalle spent on the summit, having landed there in a helicopter in May 2005. He is the first and only person to land a helicopter on top of the Mount Everest.
9. 35 years Lakpa Gyelu fastest ascent to top of Everest by 10 hours and 56 minutes followed by Pemba Dorje Sherpa in 12 hours, 45 minutes, in 2004. Which is Lakpa Gyelu’s 10th successful ascent of Mount Everest.
10. 11 minutes fastest descent, by Jean-Marc Boivin of France, the first person to paraglide from the summit in 1988.
11. Krzysztof Wielicki and Leszek Cichy made first successful winter summit to Everest in 1980.
12. 21 Record number of ascents by one person, Apa Sherpa of Nepal. He first reached the summit of Mount Everest on his fourth attempt, on May, 1990.
13. 55 Characters in the first tweet from the summit, sent Oct 15 2010.
14. There is a moss that grows at 6,480 meters on Mount Everest. It may be the highest altitude plant species in this planet.
15. The 1922 British Mount Everest expedition was the first officially mountaineering expedition to Everest.
16. Junko Tabei from Japan is the first woman to reach the summit of Mount Everest on May, 1975.
17. Peter Habeler(Austrian mountaineer) and Reinhold Messner (Italian mountaineer) first ascent to Mount Everest without supplemental oxygen.
18. Reinhold Messner also known for his first solo ascent to Mount Everest.
19. Lydia Bradey from New Zealand is the first woman to summit Mount Everest without supplemental oxygen in 1988.
20. No one climbed to the summit in 2015 and it’s happen the first time since 1974.
21. In 1991 four men (Andy Elson and Eric Jones, and Chris Dewhirst and Leo Dickinson) in two balloons achieved the first hot air balloon flight over Mount Everest.
22. Mark Inglis from New Zealand became the first ever double amputee to reach the summit of Mount Everest.
23. Arunima Sinha from India is the first female amputee to reach the summit of Mount Everest.